Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Someone help me Identify this Propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Someone help me Identify this Propeller?

Last month my father-in-law gave me the propeller in the photos as a gift. He believes it dates back to the middle 1940's but is not certain which planes used this propeller, I was wondering if someone could help me identify it. The propeller is 84 inches long and has 8 bore holes. It has the following markings next to the bore holes:
    Mo 84 RA 38 SP
    SE 48
    Thank you.
    Attached Files

That is an airboat propeller, not for use on aircraft. I have no information on them.

Lamar

Comment

Thanks

Lamar, thank you for your information.

Comment

Actually, I think that may be a certificated propeller that has been shortened by cutting off the tips. The pitch looks too coarse for an airboat prop, the hub has 8 bolt holes, and the numbers at least suggest an 84" prop that may have been a special order of some kind ("SP"), although that's a guess. There were a number of props with "RA" designating the hub and preceeded by length number in inches and followed by pitch number in inches.
        Dave

Comment

I absolutely could be wrong. I called it airboat because the actual 84" measurement is consistent with the 84 marking and it has square tips that are sort of "pinched" looking at the tips. That pinch finish is consistent with modern wooden airboat props. Eight bolt holes rather than six seems to be used sometimes when mounted on converted high performance auto engines.

Lamar

Comment

Ooooooops. I missed the part about it actually being 84" long.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X