Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop' in a pub!

Folks,

I am sitting in a pub, in the UK, ("The Tripp" in Christchurch) and hanging from the ceiling is one huge two bladed wooden prop.
    It must be 10 feet across and has a 10 bolt hub. The hub looks to be 12" thick and about the same in diameter. the pitch doesn't look too course. The cord looks to be approximately 15" for most of its length, tapering off about 24" from the tips. It looks to be a laminated wood build up and quite a dark wood, although that could be from previous years nicotine build up
    I might be able to get more detailed dimensions if I can remember to bring a tape measure next time. But hopefully the photo might help.

Any help might win me a couple of free beer's

Cheers

Peter
    Attached Files

Well, it's going to be hard to identify on just that information, but one aspect that jumps out is that it is a left hand thread, rather than the more common right hand. It has a "modern" appearance, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't WW1 era.

Look for manufacturer's decals and numbers stamped around the hub.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,
      I'll take a tape measure and torch with me, next week, and see if I can get a bit more info.
      Regards
      Pete

Comment

Prop in a Pub Data Plate info

Dave,

With a bit of luck there should be two photo's attached of the data plates I found on the prop.

Just in case the details are not visible here they are;

Data plate with two rivet head type looking fasteners - May 1937, C11445, 51880.

Data plate with posidrive screw - Drg No WATTS Z 2374/1, TIGER VI L.H., D.12.25 P 9.43

Any info you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

The open weave fabric you can see doesn't cover the whole prop'(maybe it used to?) but it's reasonably flexible and looks to have been covered/impregnated with a rubberised substance.

What I plan to do, if you can find out the details, especially the type of aircraft it would have been fitted to, is I'll find a good photo of the aircraft have it framed, (along with these photos of the data plates) and give it to the pub owner to put on the wall near by.
        At least then, if nothing else, whenever someone asks in the future "what is the prop' off"? he can point them to the Photo and info sheet I'll put next to it.

Regards

Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

Go to this page and scroll way down to the bottom to find a Z2374 that also lists a Tiger VI engine. I think it was made for a Blackburn Shark II. (There are some "Watts" drawing numbers listed on that page, but not with Z2374, but since the latter does correlate with the engine I think it's a good bet that that is the correct aircraft.)

Note also that it's listed as a left hand thread, which correlates with the propeller on the wall.
          Dave

Comment

Dave,

Many thanks for your help.

There is now a couple of pictures of the aircraft in the pub so everyone knows what it's off.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Working...
            X