Can anyone help me identify?find out more about this prop prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me identify?find out more about this prop prop

Please see pics attached , would love to know its history.

Andy
    Attached Files

Andy,

The prop dates from late 1917 or early 1918 and was made for an AIRCO DH9 recce and bomber aircraft.

Your data translates as;

DRG 7031 The drawing number of the prop. It was the standard prop for the DH9 from November 1917 until the end of the war. AB indicates the Air Board.
    D2760 Diameter in mm.
    P2530 Pitch in mm.
    200hp BHP Siddeley. The engine, designed by Bulford, Halford & Pullinger, and made by Siddeley.
    D H 9 The aircraft.
    G662 N5 Number 5 in a batch of 100 called G662.

AID C46 The airworthiness stamp of inspector C46 who added his stamp at four stages of construction.

Lovely prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate the information. Very interesting. Would you have any idea of the value?

Comment

It's an excellent prop. Here in the UK at auction about £1500-£1700 GBP (about $2600 USD). Less on eBay. Leave the prop exactly as it is. If you try to improve the appearance you will reduce the value.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Thanks

thank you for the info , the prop is taking pride of place in our model shop

Comment

Hi Andy,

I saw your models in the background! If you are going to keep the prop, wash it carefully with warm water and a few drops of washing-up liquid as a degreaser. Then polish it with pure beeswax. The para below has more detail copied from a recent post.

I should think that keeping it in your shop will attract interest. And the longer you keep it, the more the value will increase.

If you clean the blades by wiping them with warm soapy water, then let them dry, then repeat the process carefully until no more dirt comes off, then let them dry for several days and finally polish them with pure beeswax out of a tin, you may well see a considerable improvement. (beeswax out of a Sainsbury's aerosol will contain modern silicone polishes which are too powerful for 100 year old lacquer.) Don't polish the brass.
            With kind regards,

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-27-2012, 06:03 AM.
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
            X