Early Wood Prop Museums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Wood Prop Museums

Which museums in the Paris area have the best collections of Ratmanoff and Chauviere propellers, especially those designed for the Anzani 25 hp engine?

There may be time before or after an early December business trip to spend some time photographing and measuring props where that is allowed.

Any local contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-pete

Hi Peter,

I know only two museums in or near Paris where you could see propellers:
    - the Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace (in Le Bourget, about 10 miles North of Pari): the access by public transportation is possible but not very convenient (walking in the neighborhood after dark to the subway could be "impressive" for a stranger, like some New-Orleans places...). There are many props fitted to aircrafts, but more than often they are not the right ones. I don't remember any Ratmanoff or Chauvière for small engines.
    - the Musée des Arts & Métiers were there are a very few number of planes with their props, but they include the Blériot which made the first flight above The Channel***. All are hanging from the ceiling and can't be approached.

The "e-museum" projected by Bob Gardner will be a very better place to visit! And you live in a country where you can access many books from Internet Archives, Federal Libraries and Google: they are the best places to visit. We, in France, have to use some detours by US proxy servers to access those books and more than often we can't download them for gloomy copyright laws (including French books like l'Aérophile!!!).

Regards,
    PM

*** The prop fitted to the aircraft can't be the one which made the over Channel flight: from what had been said then, the prop was broken at landing. I am ever looking for a pic where this propeller could be seen.

Comment

Broken Channel Crossing Prop

Some time ago I found this writeup and pictures of the original (broken) channel crossing Bleriot propeller and I'm happy to say it's still online. Enjoy.
      http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk/members/node?page=5

Comment

Hi MGChuck,

Thank you very much for your link. I will try to join the people who have access to this piece of history to know if they also have original pictures where the broken propeller is visible.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Working...
        X