Please help ID propeller Z.3520/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help ID propeller Z.3520/1

Hello all, newbie here. I found a wooden propeller at the local antique shop. I've been looking for one for awhile and love the look of this. I don't think it's any older than about 1930. The stamp near the hub looks like Z.3520/1 which I think came from the Short Brothers Scion aircraft, but it doesn't list the propeller manufacturer. Any help is appreciated!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by macdoug9669; 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

Your info is entirely correct. The drawing number Z3520 was for a prop for the Short Scion powered by a Niagara III engine. Your prop carried modification 1. The letter Z indicates the prop was designed by Dr HC Watts of the Airscrew Company of Britain who would also have made the prop. It's a rare item.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks!!

Bob, thank you so much for the information. So the manufacture year would have been in the mid 1930s? I found some pictures of the Scion Senior, love them! I've been looking for a propeller for quite some time and was very excited to find this in an antique shop . Buy first and ask questions later! I really appreciate the information, and the site is great!

Regards,
      Greg

Comment

Greg,

I'm delighted to have been able to help. Many props cannot be identified.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

curious about the price paid?

Hello from Dennis in Seattle Wa. Purely from a standpoint of price comparison in regards to what several of us have seen on this forum as to what " half props " are percieved to be worth, may I inquire what you paid for your half prop in that antique store?

Reason being, its a great way to see just what this piece was sold for in a given situation, and since your new here and havent been a part of recent dialogs about such pieces, the price you paid will be a good snapshot of the spot market in an objective manner.

No doubt the the antique shop was out to make a profit on it as well, and the shop probably picked it up for far less than they sold it for. That being said, I am interested in what the antique store thought it was worth.

Welcome to the forum.

Sincerely,
          Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Washington
          Attached Files
          Last edited by D.Hicklin; 10-16-2012, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Price

Hello Dennis. I'm sure they made a heck of a profit off me LOL. It was about 300 GBP (about $460). I had been looking for an entire propeller (and will probably keep my eye out for one but don't tell my wife) but was pleased with this because I can display it along with an antique sideboard and corner piece we picked up while we were there. It will also go well with the bar we have. The propellers go fast here being near an Air Force base and all the pilots are on the hunt for them. Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Comment

Working...
            X