DH4 Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH4 Propeller Identification

I hace recently aquired a DH4 propeller and am want to learn its heritage.

Hub:

DH4 standing
    ENG RPM 1480
    USA 12A
    PART 84555
    SC NO 80137

Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Robert,

The DH4 was a very successful British aircraft introduced in 1917. It was a recce and bomber aircraft that was faster and had a better ceiling than German fighters. It was produced in large numbers under licence by the Americans, fitted with a Liberty engine. Your prop is from one of these. About 1900 American DH4's were used in France by 13 aero squadrons.

The letters SC indicate the American Signal Corps, which was responsible for American military aircraft until the USAS was formed in 1918.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

There seem to be two general versions of U.S. built DH4's, one is a scimitar shape and the other is more of a straight blade. Many, many different manufacturers were involved in their production, and there were a number of minor variations in their characteristics.

Does yours have decals on it? Does it have the original varnish or has it been refinished?
      Dave

Comment

Unfortunetly the propeller does not have the decals and has been refinished. It is in great shape and has been in doors most of its life. I know that whoever refinnished it (probably my father) did not know that it hurt itsa value by refinishing it.

Comment

Working...
        X