No announcement yet.

Is This a Sopwith Camel Generator Prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Sopwith Camel Generator Prop?

I've had this little propeller for a while now. Until recently, I had no idea what it was. Now, I've been led to believe that it is a generator prop that was used on a Sopwith Camel. Can anyone confirm this?
    There are some barely discernable markings on the hub . . all I can make out is:
    . . . AND SONS
    . . 600 WATTS
    Attached Files

I've got a few similar ones, and Bob Gardner answered a recent thread on a similar one here.

I don't know what yours is for, but don't be misled by the "typical" claim that some artifact is from a particularly popular or famous airplane. Almost 100% of the time that turns out to be untrue, the rare exception being when positive identification can be made to prove it.
    Dave

Comment

'Morning Roland,

Your prop was designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory and is likely to date from the second half of 1917. It powered a generator which gave up to 500 Watts and was typically used on large bomber aircraft such as the Vickers Vimy and the Handley Page O/400. I assume it is eighteen inches long?

The AID stamp on the metal flange is the stamp of the Aeronautical Inspection Department and its presence is proof of airworthiness. H43 on the stamp indicates one particular inspector, who inspected on behalf of the Royal Aircraft Factory at Betjemann & Sons.

The number T28153 is the drawing number where the letter T indicates the Royal Aircraft Factory who designed it. The pattern and layout of the data stamped on the hub is by the same hand which stamped a known Betjemann auxiliary prop. So it is likely that the illegible stampings on your prop read;

T28153
      G. Betjemann & Sons
      500 watts

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X