Generator Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Propeller Identification

I recently aquired a pair of WWI Auxiliary Generator Props. They measure 18 inches and are a laminated mahogany construction. Markings include the AIS stamp,and the A (Army?) and arrow marks on one of the hub flat surfaces. The barrel of the hub has one 6 digit number, the letters R A F, then 500 watts and another 5 digit number. Can anyone identify the manufacturer and give an approximate date of manufacture? I thought the R A F might refer to the Royal Aircraft Factory as there are no other manufacturers details. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum.

Your prop was designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory and is likely to date from the second half of 1917. It powered a generator which gave up to 500 Watts and was typically used on large bomber aircraft such as the Vickers Vimy and the Handley Page O/400.

AIS is actually AID which is the stamp of the Aeronautical Inspection Department and its presence is proof of airworthiness.

The number T28142 is the drawing number where the letter T indicates the Royal Aircraft Factory who designed it. A known maker of these aux props was WD Oddy of Leeds.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob
      Thank you for the information, I bought the props recently at a general auction and got them for very little. I'm pleased with the aquistion now to find somewhere to display.

Many Regards

Stan Jobson (Propadom)

Comment

Working...
      X