Wooden Prop with a 'twist' in the middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Prop with a 'twist' in the middle

Here's an update on a project that I've been working on.
    A set of restored ERCO 'Compreg' blades and a Hamiliton Standard 2B20 hub that has been cobbled together.
    The photos show the ERCO blade ferrules - which I polished - and an exploded view of the hub (again - polished up), which I'll be assembling later next week.
    This has been a really fun project and I would recommend it to anyone who loves props - the metal hub aspect adds a whole new dimension to a wooden propeller.
    Attached Files

Wow. Looks nice. Have you been in touch with Monte Chase? His interest is in the variable pitch props.
    Dave

Comment

I agree. Looks very nice.

Lamar

Comment

Appreciation and suggestion

First of all, bravo on a great project. How ever I would say the term " cobbled " to be the wrong term, it appears that you have taken a lot of time to do this project in a manner that reflected precison. That being said, other than selling it to Monte, if it were mine, I offer this suggestion as to what I would do with it.

As an artist, purely from form and function, when I see pieces like this that are interesting and able to function as an adjustable pitch prop, I would not let it be airworthy again, but let it be a piece that can be on display with some sophisticated additions of a small electric motor to drive a cam that would let the blades run thier full travel from stop to stop to show the function of its original design. I surmise that it was acuated by oil pressure while on the original hub on what ever aircraft it was intended for. But with some slight modification with out damaging the original equipment, it should be easy to accomplish this.

I say easy, only because I have access to a machine shop that is owned by a fellow enthusiast that loves this stuff. The aspect of the cost of it are another matter indeed.

I am biased when it comes to this type of project, but if your going to go to these lengths to do this kind of quality workmanship, in my opinion, to go a bit further to fabricate a device as I have described, really lets the prop show off in an elegant manner.

Monte would be the man indeed to contact when it comes to this type of prop, and the possibility of having it be movable via a cam as I described, his shop is set up for that I would assume as well.

Just a thought, thanks for posting the great pictures of your Erco project.

Sincerely,
        J. Dennis Hicklin
        Seattle Washington
        Attached Files

Comment

All Assembled now . .

Thank you all for the compliments.

Here are a couple of shots of the completed project. It is 8 ft, 5 inches long and weighs about 100 lbs - it's a brute.
          I did get a lot of help on this project from Monte Chase, (www.notplanejane.com), including the decals and technical advice.(He has quite a few authentic decals if anyone needs a set for a project.)

The pitch mechanism is activated by engine oil pressure when mounted on an airplane.
          My near term plans for the prop are quite simple; I've placed it on a cabinet in my 'Prop Room'. I will admire it, stroke it and talk to it from time to time. Every once in a while I'll give the blades a twist. I'll keep it polished and show it off to anyone and everyone, every chance I get
          Attached Files

Comment

How do you keep the metal part of it polished? Please feel free to jump in here too Dennis.

Lamar

Comment

" labor of love"

Indeed this piece is magnificent. In regards to your question lamar, dont hold me to this, but I would venture a guess that it was sprayed with a very fine finish of clear, at least that would keep the oxygen from the metal and keep it shiny, but what a pain to do that if you ever needed to take it apart again.

Or, I guess if its snowing outside and nothing to keep a person entertained, to keep it shiney, just take it apart and do it by hand again, hard to use a buffing wheel when its all assembled. Flitz is a great polish I have on several of my metal pieces here, its amazing stuff, the shine lasts a long time with this polish, but as to how this gentleman has achived this high polish and finish, he will have to be the source of magical polishing secret. I would also say that its just a lot of hard work by hand on a regular basis as well, and a ton of Q-Tips for the hard to get to places.

What a great project, again, thanks for sharing the photographs.

Sincerely,
              Dennis Hicklin
              Seattle Washington
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X