• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airship prop? help please

Hope that picture works.
    thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM.

Airship prop? help

The hub says MFG NO 02400 part no. X09240 AS No 111184 A4 AIRSHIP standing rpm engine OX5

Comment

This is the second A4 airship prop I've heard about this week. The other was a 4 blade version and the owner who called said he was sending photos.

It certainly looks authentic and original, and apparently that model airship did use the OX5 engine. You'll note that it's a left hand thread, which would mean that it was a pusher configuration rather than the more common tractor application.
      Dave

Comment

airship prop? help

I was told it was a built or used in 1914. It has McCook Field stamped on it also.

Comment

Well, as always I caution people to rely to any extent on what they "were told" about artifacts like this. Very few of those claims can ever be substantiated, and most of them can be proven to be inaccurate.

At the same time, yours is pretty well marked as to its usage, and your research at this point should be directed toward the history of the A4 airship program.
          Dave

Comment

Congratulations on finding this treasure.

But be aware of Dave's hint about having heard of two within one week. Possibilities are;
            that both props are the same one; yours.
            a coincidence of immense improbability.
            someone has discovered a cache of three or four.
            someone has stamped A4 data on an anonymous old prop.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob, the other person who contacted me has an altogether different prop, but it raises an interesting possibility. His is a 4 bladed version presumably stamped with McCook Field and numbers, including A4 and 0X5, but it had been cut into 4 segments at the hub for transport. Presumably the wood grain in those segments match, but a remote possibility is that someone way back picked up a pair of these and decided to make them look like a 4 bladed prop instead of two. I'm waiting for pictures which should establish that, but I think it's unlikely and I suspect that the 4 blade is authentic.

As usual, very detailed photographs or personal inspection would go a long way in helping with this one.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

airship prop? help

Not the same one thats for sure. Mine has been on my shelf for over 20 years.
                I am wanting to sale it, but only have in mind what I think it would be worth to someone.

Comment

Working...
                X