Sensenich Prop thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensenich Prop thoughts?

I have had Model 72k-42, Ser. No. J4734.

I heard it was manufactured in about 1946.

The wood is beautiful but it appears to lack the metal

for the leading edge (it has been painted brass color).

In addition, the green wing tip coating does not look like it is original.

Any idea on the approximate value?

Should I leave it alone or consider a restoration?

Thanks in Advance.
    Attached Files

Your prop certainly looks refinished. The decals are missing, too. Are you certain the brass colored leading edges aren't in fact painted over real brass? I cannot imagine removing this edging without seriously damaging the prop. And why would anyone do this anyway?

I would not try to re-refinish it.

Lamar

Comment

Thx Lamar for the reply. I would agree that the wood has probably been retouched or refinished. No stickers. I checked with a magnet and there is no metal on the leading edges and the transition from the area where the metal should be and the body of the prop is smooth/flat. If I had to guess, the earlier restoration job was not completed with the metal leading edge but rather painted.

Comment

The green area should be painted fabric rather than paint on the wood, and the fabric would have wrapped around the entire tip area, then covered with metal sheathing.

At this point I really don't think it matters much what you do to it, but if you try to "restore" it you may find that the metallic paint is covering up epoxy or some other hole filler from the first attempt at refinishing it. The pictures don't show sufficient detail to determine what's been done.
        Dave

Comment

Quote I checked with a magnet and there is no metal on the leading edges

The metal on the leading edge would be non-magnetic, such as brass or duralumin. Not only is it lighter than steel and more malleable but a magnetic material rotating at, say, fifteen hundred rpm, would generate electricity as it passed though the Earth's magnetic field which would eventually earth somewhere, usually through the undercart on landing but sometimes through the first person to touch the aircraft whilst standing on the ground such as the man who opened the door or possibly the first person to get out of the aircraft.

When fastening an underslung load to a hovering helicopter we always earthed the hook to ground first, otherwise you got an almighty kick.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X