G Elias & Bro, early 20's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Elias & Bro, early 20's?

Hello everyone, long time follower, first time poster.

I've been collection props for the past couple years now and just picked up bit of an odd one I could use some help identifying. Pictures below

Markings:
    D5000
    P1477
    8'x5'3''
    R

I think this may be a Elias & Bro propeller based on a classified add that described all the markings to a tee but I can't find much else out there the other options. What I did find was published in Aviation Week and Aeronautical Engineering Magazine Feb 1, 1920 (page 134, lower right hand corner)

Here is the text from the add:

MAHOGANY PROPELLERS A limited amount which we are closing out at prices that you cannot afford to miss Specifications Style D5000 8' diameter 5' 3'' pitch 1250 RPM 100 HP Copper Tipped Standard for OX Motor JN Training Plane Write G Ellas & Bro Inc Air Craft Dept Buffalo NY

Link to the archived magazine:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZHw...20D5000&f=true

So what do all you experts think? Any ideas on where I can find more information on these guys assuming I am correct? Also, I am debating on refinishing it (I know it's a sin) but with the hub not being drilled out and some other cosmetic issues I doubt its worth all that much, opinions on price?

Thanks much and thank you for this site, so much great information here!

- Jessup
    Attached Files

Anyone? Open to any possibilities

Comment

Sorry, I missed this when you first posted it.

I've not heard of Elias, but that doesn't mean much as there were hundreds of companies manufacturing wooden propellers at the end of WW1. Some designs were also manufactured under contract by other manufacturers and you will sometimes see the drawing information cross over to the contracted manufacturer.

I would still leave the propeller as is rather than refinish it. Something could still turn up that would identify it more accurately, but even with what you have so far it's worth preserving as is.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks for the comment Dave, I resisted the urge and left everything "as is".

Appreciate it,
        Jessup

Comment

As I look at the linked ad, I think Elias Brothers may not be the manufacturer but perhaps a re-seller of a group of propellers sold off as surplus. There were a lot of props liquidated as surplus at the end of WW1. I've seen ads in various aviation/scientific offering them for sale for around $2 to $3 in the early twenties.

Comment

Working...
          X