Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapol or Ratier Propeller

HI..

I am looking for help in identify the propeller in this attachments. In 1912 two Deperdussin aeroplanes where imported to México. One two places and one single. The two place plane came with Anzani engine and this propeller. Any coment ?

Cheers.
    Salud...
    Attached Files

It's hard to discern much from the photograph. I don't have any listings for Deperdussin aircraft, so that's not much help either.
    Dave

Comment

Hi OFRAMex1,

The prop is a "Rapid" propeller. Those propellers were made by Ratier between 1910 and the begining of WW1. Some serials were specific of Deperdussin aircrafts.

We are in the final days before the opening of a Ratier museum in Figeac (France) where a Rapid propeller will be displayed (the one of the attachements below). "Our" prop is from 1914, but, before, the Rapid insert was closer to the hub.

I join a postcard showing a 1912' Deperdussin fitted with a Rapid propeller.

We would be very interested in having your picture.

Regards,
      PM
      Last edited by pmdec; 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

JUST GREAT ¡¡¡¡¡ PMdec...

Thanks you for your information, I am just finishing an article about Deperdussin monoplanes that were flown in México. The first one came with Moisant international Aviators in November 1911, was flown by George Dyott and he invited the mexican president to fly, wich in fact he did. Becoming therefore the first elected President in functions to fly in the world. November 30, 1911.

Because of this, another mexican went to France to learn how to fly in Deperdussin School. His name was Martín Mendía, when he came back, he brought two Deperdussin machines in June 2012. One two places and one single seat.

The engines were Anzai 80 c.f. and Gnome 50 c.f. The propellers were then Ratier "Rapid" (great to know).

Before this airplanes arrived in México City, Juan Guillermo Villasana made a copy of a Deperdussin, he called his creation "Latinoamérica" and was flown for the first time in april 30, 1912. This machine used another Anzani engine. This was the first succesfull made in México (and Latinamérica) plane (another diferent machines were tried before but only as gliders). In the two places Deperdussin were carried out the first bombing drop test carried out by the gobernment in 1913. Mexican pilots also complained to much about some propellers brought from Europe and therefore he manufacture one of his own invention wich was tested and gave better results. The "Anáhuac" propeller was born and thereafter was widely used in México and some other countries. (by the way... I am the lucky owner of one such beauties ) ...

Yet another Deperdussin type was made later in december 1915.

I will be very happy if I can have more information about Ratier.

Send me an email and I will send the pictures to you
        (some are good and some are not so good looking.. )

ofra_fer@yahoo.com.mx

Best regards.

Oscar.

Comment

Hi Oscar,

We have a small Internet site with a quick history about Rapid propellers there: http://www.ratier.org/rapid_.html but it is in French and I am not able to make a correct translation. I think Google will be better than me...

Many thanks for the pictures proposal: I have sent you an email

Best regards,
          PM

Comment

Propeller balancer

Hi again with a question...

Do you know something about this "propeller balancer" ?, this apparatus belongs to Mexican Air Force Museum, it´s from 1916-1920.

Any idea how it was used ?
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X