Any ideas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas???

I'm a military pilot in the RCAF and new to this forum. I just lucked into an early 8' mahogany propeller with very few markings. Only one actually. On the face of the hub are two 1 cm square boxes with rounded corners. Inside the box at the bottom are the numbers 508 and in the centre is a faint "Broad Arrow" or "Crows Foot" British military property symbol. I live in Canada so this might make sense. What doesn't make sense it that the measurement tool on this site suggests that this was meant for a Hall-Scott engine which I don't believe was ever used by the RFC, RCAF, or RAF. On top of the hub are also three small holes in a triangle about 1 inch apart which look like they may have been used to attach a data plaque of some type. Attached are some photos for your perusal. I hope someone can help ID this neat addition to my living room!
    Attached Files

I think that you are likely on the right track. I sold one very similar to that years ago and felt that it was "probably" designed for use on the Standard J1. On that one (see this page) the sheath had been stamped with the Standard logo.

It may not have anything to do with Canadian or British manufacture and could easily have been simply relocated to Canada when it was acquired as surplus, usually in the 20's and 30's as they became obsolete. It doesn't appear to have been mounted and used.
    Dave

Comment

Great!

Thanks for the quick reply! The "Broad Arrow" stamp still baffles me a bit since that would make it for British use but they (we) didn't use the Hall-Scott on anything I can tell. But who knows, perhaps it made it into an inventory somehow. Do you have any idea on value? The only real damage is the nick off the trailing edge near the tip of the one blade (in one of the attached pics). I'm not looking to sell, just wondering how good a deal I made...pretty good I think though!

Dave.

Comment

Working...
      X