S&S Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S Wooden Propeller

Hello more knowledgeable people I just found a wooden propeller in my basement and wanted to have some more information on it. The information on it is as follows:

DIA: 92"
    PIT: 60.3"
    KINNER: B5
    SEPT 1942 (I'll assume production date)

DRG.1242.F.
    SER.A. 2514.

It was manufactured by S&S aircraft limited winnipeg. I would like to know what these letters and numbers mean as well as any history on this propeller and what it's worth. It is about 6ft long and has copper tips and running down the sides. I you have any information you can email me at taylor_gibbons1080@hotmail.com

Thank you

I own an S&S as well

Welcome to the site, as an owner of a S&S prop as well, I would be curious to see some shots of your prop, mine are posted on my album site on this forum.

I am curious as to the condidtion of your prop also. Hard to say about the history of S&S, as I have gleaned from reading material from this site often, not much is left in the township of winnipeg as to the history of S&S. That being said, they are my favorite props, just elegant workmanship and a very nice size for either wall hanging, or for the types of kinetic sculpture I have incorporated these types of props in, in the past.

While I am not a true professional propellor apprasier, the pros, Bob gardener, for WW1 types and Dave and lamar for both WW1 and post war types, these gentleman really have the information that you seek. I as a person that is always interested in the world of vintage wooden "airscrews", I find this site to be a daily treasure trove of props and information.

I assume you have not tried to clean up the prop, but have left it just as you found it, uncleaned and unfinished? I certainly hope so, patina of an original nature cant be remanufactured. So indeed, some close up shots of the details of the hub and both sides of the prop possibly taken outside so that the natural sunlight can help to expose any flaws in the wood grain, would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    J.Dennis Hicklin
    Seattle Washington
    Attached Files

Comment

The stamped data indicates that the prop should be 92" long, i.e. over 7 1/2 feet, not 6. Does it look as if the tips have been cut down?

"Kinner B5" is the engine it was designed for. I don't know which aircraft (often mulitple possibilities) would have used this particular design. The "DRG.1242.F." is the "drawing" number, and is the most accurate way to identify any prop. Unfortunately, we don't have a good cross reference list for S&S drawing numbers - but the company sure did seem to leave quite a few unused propellers behind.
      Dave

Comment

Pictures

Here are some pictures of the propeller when I have more I will add them. Thank you for your responses. The tips are not cut on them and I have not attempted to clean it and I will not either, I will only give it a wipe down with a damp rag if that is a good idea?
        Attached Files

Comment

It should be 92" long then, not 6 feet.
          Dave

Comment

Value

do you know the estimated value on a propeller like this or does it just look nice on a wall and have no value?

Comment

Check eBay for "completed listings" of similar props that have sold.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X