ID Help, Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID Help, Please

Hello - I'm trying to identify a propeller I inherited from my dad for possible sale. He found it 50 years ago while cleaning out a barn in Hanover, PA.

I've attched photos of all the identifying marks I could find. I haven't measured anything yet, but can certainly do so, if needed. It's 8.5' long, based on one of the markings. If anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Paragon propeller

Greetings Dadsflygirl, If you would like to sell your propeller, I would be willing to make an offer. I can be reached at msprior01@gmail.com
    Thanks, Scott

Comment

Any chance you can get a frontal view photo of it? I suspect that it's designed for a JN4 and highly sought after by collectors and other enthusiasts.
      Dave

Comment

Hello Dave, I'll try and get that picture tomorrow. Thanks very much!

Comment

Propeller for sale!

Hello again Dadsflygirl, I'm still very interested in your propeller. I'm in Virginia and could probably work out a pick up in PA if you would like to sell.
          Thanks again, Scott
          msprior01@gmail.com

Comment

think about this seriously.

Hey FLYGIRL. Just wanted to post my 8 cents worth about your propeller. As a person that truly does appreciate the past and all that it entails, consider this before you let that prop go to a potential buyer. Once its gone, all you have is money, and money is common, everybodies money looks the same, hence it isnt unique at all.

That being said, and please take this with a grain of sentimental salt, you only had one dad, and that particular prop is a very cool one that should in my humble opinion, be left unfinnished and should be hung on your wall and be a conduit to the past that your father was a part of.

If you and him either had a positive relationship or are still having one, either way, that prop is a true high quality piece of workmanship from the past, and it really doesnt take up much space on a wall, and it might be a possible future piece to hand down to some grandchildren as well.

Do I sound biased, indeed I do, but I felt I had to at least give some grist for the mill to help you mull that over. The bottom line is simply this, it has patina and it has history, and it was found by your dad and it has found its way to you, once you let it go for money, maybe not at first, but later on you will have second thoughts about how it got away from you, and when you try to replace it with one of the same vintage and patina, well the price gets pretty insane.

"YOU" have this one for free. And in my opinion, that is more than a valid reason to really think it over before you sell it for common money.

Sincerely,
            J.Dennis Hicklin
            Seattle Washington
            Attached Files

Comment

Well said JD!

These things are best kept in the family. And there is the fringe benefit that it will continue to increase in value, particularly when the centenary of WWI comes along.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

I just want to thank you all for your kind replies to my inquiry and your advice about keeping my propeller as a reminder of a great piece of history as well as my trips to the airport with my dad.

This propellor is not on the market. It will hang in a place my dad would love.

Again, thanks so much for your kind words, help, and understanding. My dad passed away a while ago, but I live near the little airport he flew out of and those private planes fly over my farm on pretty days, reminding me of out time at the airport.

Comment

Bravo DADSFLYGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the Portland swapmeet where there is a myriad of treasures that surface on an annual basis. I was so pleased to see the responce from Mr. Bob Gardner in England and to learn of your decision to keep your dads propeller. Far be it from me to try to block any sale of any prop to any person, but I had a special feeling that this particular prop would be best served if it was kept in your family. I am impressed that you have choosen to hang it in a special place that your late father would approve of. Job well done FLYGIRL!

Sincerely,
                  J.Dennis Hicklin
                  Seattle Washington
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X