Pretty rough G.B. Lewis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty rough G.B. Lewis

DES. L11BK-40, picked it up from Craigslist for $100 because I've wanted an old wooden prop for about a million years and this was my chance to take a shot in the dark and buy one. I did a little research already and this one was on the Continental A-65 engine which was in use from 1939-1947 per wikipedia. Normally, I like to leave the "patina" alone, but this one has some of the green fabric coming off the tips and the plies are separating a bit, so some strong carpenter's glue and a good clamp and this one should be ready for a little sanding etc. The decals are mostly gone, so they will need to be replaced, but all in all - I'm pretty excited about this new project.

Any suggestions as to a method to my madness? Do any of you fine folks know what wood this baby is made of? I've been authorized a man cave by the boss and this is going to be one of the center points to the whole place, so I'd like for it to "pop" and I'd like to tell my buddies about it. Also, what type of fabric is the green stuff on the tips? Any other tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

thanks and I'll post photos when i get a chance!

BIGTOM

Almost no matter what condition it's in, it's usually better to leave it that way. "Restored" Cub props are a dime a dozen.

You're usually better off to buy one that's been "restored" on some place like eBay then turn around and sell yours in original condition.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X