Can anyone out there help to identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone out there help to identify

I have a prop approx 1375mm long tip-tip, bought off a mate in the UK in the early '70s, which I'd appreciate any info on.

The following numbers are stamped into the centre portion :
    DRG Z 3403/4
    P4.5.P2.43

Construction is laminated timber, with copper (?edging/balancing pieces), it was originally black with yellow tips which I stripped back to refinish with clear varnish, and it seems to be in generally pretty good condition with no visible damage.
    I can send photos if necessary, and any info would be much appreciated. (I'm thinking of using it as a wall hanger for a painting of a Boeing P26 monoplane which I've recently completed, also currently available for purchase,).

Many thanks in advance
    Jem

Hi,
    Originally posted by jem View Post
    .../...
    it was originally black with yellow tips which I stripped back to refinish with clear varnish, and it seems to be in generally pretty good condition with no visible damage.
    .../...
    Sorry to be harsh, but stripped back to refinish with clear varnish is a damage.

Regards,
    PM

Comment

It dates from the 1930's and is from a very light and small aircraft, probably in the Pou de Ciel category. If so it is very rare. It was designed (and probably made) by the famous Airscrew Co of Great Britain at Brooklands.

Comment
      This observation is intended for any casual visitor to this website.
      Whilst you all have every right to do what ever you wish to artefacts that you own, there is also a moral responsibility to preserve items of historic value for future generations. All propellers from WW1, and British propellers from the 1920's and 1930's, are particularly rare. The earliest of these are a century old and come from the dawn of aviation. The youngest are seventy years old. They are worth preserving in original condition, where this is possible.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Well said Bob.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
        X