Unidentified Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified Propeller

I've been researching a wooden propeller without much success and found your site to be the most helpful and comprehensive. I'm turning to you for advice as I'm running out of sources.

It's 7 foot, 4 inches long. It has 8 bolt-holes measuring 5/16" in diameter as well as a 9th hole (on one side) measuring 1 and 9/16 inches deep (the hub is 3 and 15/16" deep and 2 and 13/16" in diameter). The leading edge of the blades are sheathed in copper measuring 29.5" from the tips.

There are no decals. Stamped onto the top of the hub in black letters is: DES-H 575 RH beneath which is marked: No 13359. On the side of the hub and above the mounting hole is the number 5173. Beneath this and below the mounting hole appears the number 3. Both of these numbers are impressed into the wood.

From what I can determine this is a "modern" type but I value it as much as had it been off a WW1 Spad. Once again, any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. See album for pictures.

Thanks, Doug

Unidentified Propeller

Further to my Jan. 12 post I've since determined what RH means but the numbers and other letters continue to elude me. I've found numerous references to the letters DES on a wide variety of propellers ranging from full size to those on model planes. Other than the suggestion that it means "design" I can find nothing to back that up.

So I continue to seek help. I'm still trying to sort out how to display it as although it is a much later model than WW 1, I happen to have a deactivated Colt/Vickers, 11MM caliber, aircraft machine gun from 1918 that I plan to work into some compatible relationship.

Thanks, Doug
    Attached Files

Comment

I can't seem to find any drawing numbers that have the "H" prefix, although I have seen that prefix before on other props. Anyone know which manufacturer that might be? (It's not Hartzell.)
      Dave

Comment

Unidentified Propeller

It looks like the prop nos. are going to be difficult to pin down...can you tell me what the letters DES represent?

Thanks

Comment

"DES" typically refers to "Design", as a model number.
          Dave

Comment

Unidentified Propeller

Thanks for the info but it looks like the leads re the nos. are drying up. I appreciate the time you've taken including the access to your records.

I've decided what I have is not a modern propeller but is actually the only surviiving example of an advanced prototype used on WW 1 pursuit planes. They were designed to shatter on impact to prevent the technology from falling into enemy hands and the rest were destroyed by the Ministry of War...thus the rarity. My Great grandfather was an exceptionally tall man and smuggled this one out of Britain in his pants in 1919.

Doug

Comment

Working...
            X