Four Bladed Wooden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Bladed Wooden

I am a volunteer at Classicflyersnz.com heritage centre in Tauranga, New Zealand. We have been given a small wooden four bladed propeller with the following dimensions and are keen to find out what it is, what it was used on and how old it is. The donor had no idea where it came from.

No identification marks anywhere on propeller
    6 Bolt holes - diameter - 9 mm
    Distance between bolt hole centres - 52 mm
    Centre shaft diameter - 63 mm (Both sides, not tapered)
    Blade length from hub centre - 720 mm
    Outer half of each blade fully sheathed in copper
    Blades have tapered and rounded tips
    Appears to be made from an exotic hardwood

Attached is a photo of the prop (I hope).
    Attached Files

Hello Rog,

I don't know what it is and nor does anyone else judging by the absence of replies! Possibly it is British and is from a target tug aircraft. Props like this were deployed into the airstream to power an electric generator which drove the winch that paid out up to half a mile or more of wire cable to which the target drogue was attached.

A target tug aircraft on duty for target practice to a Royal Naval ship was once nearly hit by a stray shot. The pilot signalled to the ship in morse code by Aldis lamp 'I'm pulling this target not bloody pushing it!'

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Unknown Origin Of Wooden Propeller

To Bob Gardner

Thanks very much for your reply and information on the prop. This is the first response we have had from anyone in around 5 years of on and off investigation.
      The information you provided is a great start and Classicflyers will really appreciate receiving it.
      Best regards,

Rog

Comment

Working...
      X