• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolls Royce Four blade propeller ID

SV400273.jpg

SV400274.jpg

SV400275.jpg

SV400272.jpgHello, a friend has asked me to see if i can get this Four blade Propeller identified, any help would be appreciated. It is marked 275 HP Rolls Royce G148 N74 LH.

Look carefully for any other numbers stamped around the hub. There should be a "drawing" number somewhere. It certainly is very similar to this propeller for a DH4 (and has the same engine) but that resemblence isn't sufficient to establish its actual usage.
    Dave

Comment

Good Afternoon Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

Your prop is from a Bristol Fighter, the F2B.

Concerning the data on your prop:

275 HP Rolls Royce LH The 275hp Rolls Royce Falcon 3. This engine was built in both right hand and left hand rotation and the blade roots were colour coded.
      G148 N74 Number 74 made in a batch of 100, which dates the prop to circa late 1917.
      P3038 In your blurred photo this drawing number looks like P3030, which I have not previously recorded and if correct would be in a group of two-bladed props. The only four-bladed prop drawing number near it is P3038, which was for a LH rotation engine, for which your prop is marked. (P3039 was for a RH engine.) Please advise.

The letter P indicates the prop was designed by the British & Colonial Aeroplane Company, who also designed the aircraft. However, this company did not make your propeller as this batch number does not appear in their records.

This prop was the standard prop for the F2B from 1917 until February 1918. The Ministry of Munitions paid £35 10s 0d for each of these props.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 01-11-2012, 09:02 AM.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Four Blade propeller

Thanks for the great information Bob, much appreciated , i will pass it on.

Comment

Working...
        X