Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German salzmann propeller

Hi
    Recently, I acquired a propeller from the granddaughter of an ex ww2 BF109 pilot.She found the propeller in here grandfathers garage after his death. Propeller came from Germany, Cologne area.
    here some details:
    the propeller is not in very good shape because a strip of 3 cm on the trailing edge of one blade from midsection to tip is missing. also there are strange holes drilled on several places in the prop blades.
    here the inscriptions on the prop hub:

EDELZUG
    SALZMANN SOHN BERLIN
    N 2325 ST175 D280
    PS160 MERC (can also be 150 difficult to read)

GEPRUFT FLZ

STAND 1360

further also 191# #means unreadable

Does somebody on the forum has some serial number details listed for this
    salzmann propeller? Which airplane used the D280 and 175 pitch.
    The 175 pitch doesn't look much to me and seems to be for a slower
    aircraft. What about albatros, halberstadt or phalz aircrafts?

kind regards

Gino
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gino; 12-24-2011, 05:40 AM.

Even with the tip damage, it's a nice looking prop. Maybe Bob will have some idea of its application.
    Dave

Comment

Somebody with some more information about the use of this propeller and
      some information of the builder?

Thanks
      Merry X-mass

Gino

Comment

Good Afternoon Gino,

Bin ich korrekt, wenn ich denke, dass Sie deutsch sind?

Congratulations on finding this prop. All German WW1 propellers are very rare (because so many were destroyed after the Treaty of Versailles) and props made by Salzmann U Sohn are even rarer. I have only recorded eight of their props in the last fifteen years. Three of these were made for the Benz Bz IV 200ps engine and three for the Mercedes DIII 160ps. Two are from unknown motors. One of the 200ps Benz props is from the DFW C V, shot down in late 1917. None of the others can be attributed to aircraft types.

You are correct that the low pitch figure implies a recce aircraft. Idflieg (Inspektor der Fliegentruppen) specified the dimensions of props for engines and for types of aircraft. Props with similar dimensions to yours have been recorded on the Rumpler C I, the AEG C II and the DFW CL II.

Could you send me some hi-res photos of the prop, including one of the complete prop that I can use in my book on German props? aeroclocks at btinternet dot com written like this to confuse the spam bots.

With friendly Greetings,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply.
          I am not German but Belgian. I live between Brussels and Liege, so
          easy for me to search for propellers in Germany or France as well.
          Yesterday I bought a new camera which should be able to produce much better
          pictures than in the past. I will try to make you some good pictures next week.
          I will also take the pictures from the Anker propeller which I promised you
          already some time ago.

Best regards and merry x-mass

Gino

Comment

Hello Gino,

How nice to talk to a Belgian. I made many visits to the Belgian Ministry of Defence in the 1980's when I was an Army Officer in the British Army in Germany. I look forward to the photographs. They need to be exactly in focus for printing and the photo of the complete prop should be on the ground or parallel to the ground.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

a few more pictures
              Attached Files

Comment

I've got the same Propeller without any damaged wood. Can you tell me the price/worth for this beautiful propeller?

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyman View Post
                  I've got the same Propeller without any damaged wood. Can you tell me the price/worth for this beautiful propeller?
                  It would depend very much on its condition, i.e. the finish and any alterations that may have been done as well as any evidence that it had actually been in service. Can you post photos? (or mail them to dave at woodenpropeller dot com and I can post them here for you.)

Comment

Pictures added by Admin. Click on thumbnails to enlarge.

Images show witness marks on the hub indicating that the propeller was likely mounted and later removed from service. The finish appears original and there is minor damage due to aging but the overall condition is very good.

Other than knowing the pitch and diameter and that it was used on a 160 HP Mercedes engine, it is unlikely that the actual aircraft usage will be known.

Salzmann (3).jpg Salzmann (1).jpg Salzmann (4).jpg Salzmann (2).jpg

Comment

Additional pics:

Salzmann (5).jpg Salzmann (6).jpg Salzmann (7).jpg Salzmann (8).jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X