Help identifying prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying prop

I just discovered this forum and hope that someone might be able to help me identify a propleller that was given to me.

It is a wooden prop and below is all the information I have.

Length 102 inches
    Hole in center of hub 3 1/4 inch diameter
    Diameter of mounting bolt spacing 6 5/8 inches
    8 Bolt holes in the hub. 6 of the holes have a metal insert while 2 of them have nothing.

The only markings are as follows:
    On the front surface of one blade has the number - 59733
    Along the outer edge of the hub has some text that looks like it is hand engraved, and reads - JN4 Hispano 160

Attached are some pictures.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Charlie

100_2104.jpg

100_2105.JPG

100_2106.jpg

hub1.jpg

Whole_prop.jpg

I'm suspicious that it's been incorrectly stamped as a Jenny prop. The length is longer than most JN4 props by a few inches, the center bore should be under 3 inches and the bolt circle should be under 6 inches for the Hisso engine. (I think the Hisso engines all had the same hub.) See this table for hub dimensions.

I have recently seen a few propellers, notably one on eBay, that certainly appear to have been "fraudulently" stamped so as to misrepresent the aircraft used. I'm not positive this isn't authentic, but I'm highly suspicious. The "stamping" does look a little hand-made, as well.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for the quick response. I wondered about the engraving myself because it's not stamped it looks as though someone just took a sharp object and scribed in the JN4 and other text.

The prop was given to me and I have it hanging on a wall as a decorative piece, but it would be nice to identify it so that there is a story and some history to go with it. The person who gave it to me acquired this prop before eBay was around but I don't exactly know where he got it. Even if it's not a Jenny prop, I am curious as to what it is. Would better photos possibly help in identifying it?

Thank you for your time.

Charlie

Comment

It's nearly impossible to identify a propeller by photos alone. There are just WAY too many possibilities with propellers that look identical but in fact are used in completely different settings, for different aircraft and/or engines.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X