Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Identify

Hello,

Almost 20 year ago my grandfather gave me a wooden prop and I think it's from WW1. Now I would like to know more about it, like the history, age, type of aircraft, the value and maybe a good way to sell it.
    The length is 308cm it's got 9 holes and the numbers in it are D308, H165 (or 105), N36702

With kind regards,

Jac Stoof
    jstoof@hotmail.com
    Attached Files

What's going on with the hub? There are no bolt holes on the rear but what appears to be a plate with nuts on the front. Can that be removed to see what's underneath?
    Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,
      I really don't know what's going on with the hub.
      Hoped somebody on the forum could tell me more about it.
      Within 15 days i am home again and will remove the plate too see what's under it.
      Untill that time i would be happy with more respons

Comment

All we have to go on is what appears to be diameter and pitch, and a serial number. That's not enough to identify it. It may be European based on its appearance and the letter notation "H", which I presume defines pitch of 165cm.

Beyond that, I can't tell you much about it. Nine bolt holes is unusual, but then again we're not sure they're even bolt holes until you get the hub off. It may be a factory reject that never got to the hole drilling stage.
        Dave

Comment

Hey Dave,
          When i am home again i will take the front of to see what's under there.
          What do you mean with "the pitch"?
          I have asked my father if he knows more about it and the only thing he knows is that his father got it from an airplane long time before he was born.
          So i don't think it is a factory reject.
          Hope that together we can find out more about it!
          Jac

Comment

The "pitch" is the angle of the blade, basically defined by the theoretical forward travel of one revolution of that blade, the same as pitch on a screw. A pitch of 165cm on a propeller that's 305 cm in length is relatively "flat", meaning that for each turn it would only move forward a distance slightly higher than half its length (165cm) in a solid substance. Since they are moving through air the actual forward movement of course is much less, but pitch is defined mathematically.

If it was mounted on an aircraft it had to be attached to a steel hub somehow, typically with 8 bolts clamping the metal hub against the wood. There were other methods, but they all involved some hub holes other than just the center bore.
            Dave

Comment

It's German, probably from the last year of WW1, almost certainly made by Heine. The hub is probably not bored so that a Rupp fastner could be fitted at unit level. Heine was a principal user of Rupp hubs, a quick release device which used one central nut instead of eight or so bolts.

The combination of diameter and pitch suggest a large slow aircraft. Other props exist with similar dimensions which were used with 260ps Mercedes engines for Gotha bombers and Friedrichshafen bombers and seaplanes.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM.
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
              X