Army AF Mail Plane Propeller DES 72F42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army AF Mail Plane Propeller DES 72F42

This Propeller was taken off an aircraft that the pilot jumped out of and said it had problems. The prop was damaged and my father was the person to replace it with a new one, refuel it then another pilot flew it on to deliver the U.S. Mail that was onboard. He kept this for a momento for all of us to see and appreciate.

Identification on the Propeller is:

DES 72F42
    SER 21875
    HP 65
    RPM 2330

Any help identifying this would be nice as I plan to donate it the the Air Museum in Vancouver, Washington. By the way the Pilot was Lindberg.

Well, unfortunately as is often the case, the story is totally bogus.

The propeller is one that is typically used on aircraft like the Piper Cub, using 65 HP engines, and developed LONG after Lindbergh flew the mail, which he did in aircraft like the Standard J1, the Curtiss JN4C, and the DeHavilland DH4. All of those used propellers of 8 feet or more. Your propeller is 6 feet in length, and would never have been used on one of those engines. You'll see the listing of aircraft that may have used it on this page, all 65 Hp Franklin powered trainers of one kind or another and never used to carry the U.S. mail. It's a very commonly found propeller design, and I doubt that any museum would have a particularly keen interest in having it.

Sorry.
    Dave

Comment

atta boy dave

Isnt it amazing how people keep trying to fool those that really do know the history and the time line, great call dave.

Sincerely,
      D.Hicklin

Comment

Working...
      X