Unknown Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Wooden Propeller

I have a wooden propeller that I have assumed was for a WW! fighter. It has no bolt holes and no keyway. I have been told that it may have been a pattern for production of others. there is a number on the back of the hub but at this time I cannot get it down to see what the number is. Unfortunately it has been refinished but there were no decals or other markings on it.

The propeller is approximately 8 Ft. long and has no edging of fabric or metal.

It has a very pronounced scimitar shape.

From this sketchy information can anyone give me more information about this piece of art work?
    Attached Files

It may very well be the same as this propeller, which is not particularly rare, despite being around 90 years old. The absence of hub drilling and metal sheathing could mean that it was a reject during the manufacturing process.

There would not have been a keyway in the wood. Propellers are attached to the crankshaft by way of a metal hub.
    Dave

Comment

It's an elegant shape from the early years of aviation and well worth keeping in the family. Your family name by the way is one of the best.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X