Hartzell Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartzell Prop

I'm trying to research my wooden prop and getting conflicting info. On the one hand, this website says the 8 hole design makes it pre 1920 but some onfo on http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/hartzell.htm indicates its from a Beech B17 or Cessna T-50 ca 1940.
    Markings are: Hartzell Decals (It's 90 1/4" long, Hub 6" thick)

Design 707 80 (SU)
    SR NO 26759
    RPM 2000

Hartzell A.T.NO.
    Piqua Ohio 457
    HP 225
    I would like to frame a picture of the correct airplane it was used for so would appreciate any further information you could supply. Thanks.
    PS Love your website!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by fgillies View Post
    On the one hand, this website says the 8 hole design makes it pre 1920
    Let me attempt to clear up a little confusion here. I suspect what you read said something to the effect that pre-1920's props were almost always 8 bolt holes rather than 6. This does NOT mean that props with 8 bolt holes stopped in the 20's. They persist to this day. The number of bolt holes has to do with the diameter of the prop which itself relates to the RPM's of the engine and other factors.

You read the chart correctly. Your prop seems to be for either of those two aircraft.

Lamar

Comment

Hartzell Prop

Thanks very much Lamar. Again, the website is outstanding. I had NO idea there was so much to the subject or so much interest in props and spent darn near a whole day (when I should have been doing other things) perusing the site and enjoyed every minute. I was struck by the shear number of wooden props out there. Cheers.

Comment

Just Curious!!!

I also have a hartzell propellar a clock is mounted in the center we have had it hanging for years, my husbands boss gave it to him around 1986 and said it belonged to Howard Hughes as his boss was a world traveler and has since passed away. I was curious how i would be sure of that????? Any ideas????

Comment

Originally posted by mary2011 View Post

I also have a hartzell propellar a clock is mounted in the center we have had it hanging for years, my husbands boss gave it to him around 1986 and said it belonged to Howard Hughes as his boss was a world traveler and has since passed away. I was curious how i would be sure of that????? Any ideas????
          The folklore that goes along with many of these props (and maybe ALL of them) is almost always bogus. Unless it can be substantiated with convincing evidence, then it's just that - folklore. The problem of course is that once people believe it to be true, it's very hard to reverse that belief, even when there's convincing evidence that the connection can't even possibly be true.

Comment

Working...
          X