Info on old wooden prop....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on old wooden prop....

My boyfriend has had this prop for about 25 years. The prop has TC-58 405Z on it and the mounting asembly has ASSY and lots of numbers stamped on it. I'm just looking for information of what it is and what it went on. He was told it was a 1930's balancing prop. It has about 8 strips of 6 - 1/8" "gluelammed" sections.
    Photos are attached.
    Attached Files

I think it's a "test club" prop, used for testing of engines on stands. They weren't used on flying aircraft.
    Dave

Comment

If Dave will permit me to add to his answer, these test props are rare and interesting, possibly more than a complete prop because they are so rare. Please look after yours. You might wish to attach a label explaining what it is, to assist future generations.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks for the Info

Dave & Bob - Thank you both for your replies and information - most helpful. We're interested in selling this prop as we don't have space to appreciate it. Any ideas of the best forum for this? I'll list it here and add to the description but there may be a better forum - any advice is appreciated. We are located near Palm Springs, CA. Have a great weekend.

Elizabeth

Comment

'Morning Elizabeth,

I should think eBay is the best place. Use several photographs. Explain that it is a test prop used to test newly built aero-engines and very rare.

Best of luck,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Good morning Bob -
            Thank you for the advice. I'll take a few better photos and list it on ebay. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything more of its history if you're interested.

Cheers,
            Elizabeth

Comment

Yes Please.

Good Luck

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Someone may very well be interested in the metal hub assembly, so if that has markings on it be sure to include that in your description as well.
                Dave

Comment

Thank you for the information. I've listed it on ebay. I put a price of $2,500 - what do you think? If I listed only the hub what do you think it would be worth? You guys are great!

Elizabeth

Comment

Hub assembly is stamped:
                    ASSY 41G 2325-9 W535 AF 27328 AC 42-29862

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoorea View Post
                      Thank you for the information. I've listed it on ebay. I put a price of $2,500 - what do you think? If I listed only the hub what do you think it would be worth? You guys are great!

Elizabeth
                      I don't have any listings of hub numbers and don't know what engine that prop might have been designed for, so what it's "worth" is clearly unknown. I doubt that you'll get any bids at that price, if it's the opening bid price, unless it's something that is known to someone and they really need it. If that's the case, often there will be no bids but after the auction closes, someone will try to contact you and offer to buy it at a discount.

I've seen hubs sell for something in the $500 to $700 range when they are in serviceable condition. As a display piece they would be worth considerably less.
                      Dave

Comment

Dave - This gives me a better idea if someone is interested in the hub assembly alone. I'll cut the price in half and see what that does. Again, thank you for your input. Have a great week.
                        Elizabeth

Comment

Working...
                        X