Help to identify propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify propeller

Hi, I recently found this wooden propeller in Arlon, Belgium. I 'm new at this and i'd like to have your insight on what kind of propeller it is. Its length is 2,46 meters and 22 cm wide. It has some inscriptions but really difficult to read "BHT B" maybe and a clover sign.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Seok4
    Attached Files

"RHT" was a common stamping indicating "Right Hand Tractor", so it's possible that's all that stamping means. A cloverleaf was common on U.S. Air Service propellers, although the shape of yours doesn't suggest that it was typical of those.

The hub looks unusual in the inner taper of the center bore, and I can't tell whether that's by design or perhaps done later to fit a clock or something in there for display.

All I could suggest at this point is to see if you can eliminate a number of possibilities based on the hub dimensions. Make sure you have the correct measurements and see if they match a known hub configuration.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Is there a possibility that your propeller is something other than wood? The grain seems unusually coarse, and I've seen one similar that was some kind of cast composite that looked much like wood but was a studio prop from Hollywood.
        Dave

Comment

It's some kind of white wood, alamo maybe. I'm going to check it up thou. A Hollywood propeller in Arlon uh?

Comment

Maybe they make movies in Belgium, too.

Here's the so called "Jenny" prop from "1918" that had been offered for sale in the past. One little drawback was that the stampings contained a ZIP code, established by the post office I think in the 50's or so.

You can see in that one what I'm saying about the coarse grain. Turns out the material was some kind of plastic foam.
            Attached Files
            Dave

Comment

Hi,

About the first one of this thread ("seok4" prop); there is a something with quite the same shape, hub and hub bolts disposition there: http://cgi.ebay.fr/HELICE-AVION-loft...item588dd6c883
              Not the same diameter, but the one on eBay seems imported (refering to the shop name) and may exist in other dimensions... Not good news for seok4...

Regards,
              PM

EDIT: Thanks, Dave, to have split the original thread in two. My "About the first one" wording is because there were two props in the same thread when I posted this. About the six bolts holes: yes, they seem to have the same pattern, and not an often seen one: on a very large circle vs central hole diameter.
              Last edited by pmdec; 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Good point. And note (which I didn't at first) that the first one has only 6 bolt holes, which is unusual for a propeller of that length and style.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X