Help Please an IPC Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please an IPC Propeller

I have just acquired a propeller which it is claimed came from the Graham-White Flying School and I would like some help in identifying it.

It is 2 bladed and approximately 8 feet in diameter

It is stamped
    I.P.C
    DG 2336
    HP 80 GNOME
    H FARMAN
    B 22078

It has 2 decals for 'The Integral Propeller Co Limited' with a central signature by 'Chauviere', one one each blade.

It also carries a calibration decal from the Royal Aircraft Factory.

Unfortunately, I am away from home at the moment and unable to add any more detail or photographs for a couple of weeks.

Allegedly, the propeller was given by Claude Graham-White to his chauffeur as a retirement present and was used by him as a coat rack, it still has the coat hooks attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Joe,

Your prop was the standard prop for the Henry Farman until November 1917. I have 2 diameters recorded, 2400mm and 2500mm.

The prop was also used on the Grahame White XV, so the story of its origin might be true. But, there are two other factors which militate against this. Firstly I have seen examples of this prop stamped for the GW Type 15, whereas yours is stamped for the H Farman. Secondly, the Integral Prop Company replaced the signature of Chauviere in the centre of the dial with the name of maker for whom the prop was made; for GW these read Made Specially for the Grahame White Aviation Co. Ltd..

Similar wording exists.........for the Sopwith Aviation Co..

So, these two aspects introduce an element of doubt. You might wish to research GW's flying school on Google. If he used Henry Farman's as well as his own GW 15's, one doubt is removed.

Let us know what you find.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Henri Farman

Thanks very much Bob,

I have looked into Claude Grahame-White, albeit in a cursory manner so far, and he appears to have done most of his early flying in Henry Farman machines including the London to Manchester Air Race of 1910 and the Naval Review at Weymouth in 1912. He learnt to fly at the Henry Farman school in Chalons.

I think it was later that he started production of his own aircraft.

I understand that the original Grahame-White factory is now a display hangar at the RAF Museum Hendon which is where he had his own flying school.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe

Comment

Gnome 80Hp Engine

While trawling through the internet I have found that the Gnome 80 HP engine was used in the Henry Farman F20 series aircraft and the Grahame-White G.W.15. Does anyone know if this combination of propeller and engine is appropriate?

Joe

Comment

Here are a few photos, taken by my wife using her phone camera so the quality is not brilliant.

The RAF calibration decal seems to narrow the date down to 1917, any comments please?
          Attached Files

Comment

Joe,

That seems to match all my data. IPC drg no. 2336 was only used on the H Farman and GW Type XV aircraft with the 80hp Gnome engine. The prop on the Farman was used with diameters of both 2400mm and 2500 mm. The diameter for the GW XV is unrecorded but propably identical to those used on the Farman. This was the standard prop for the Farman until February 1918 when the Farman was replaced by the Avro 504K as the RFC's primary trainer.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your responses, it looks as though the Farman FE20 and the GW15 are very similar in configuration.
              I don't think I will be able to narrow it down any further.
              I doubt that there is any record of serial numbers in existence any more.

Comment

I doubt that there is any record of serial numbers in existence any more.
                Hardly ever! Some serial nos for Bristol props exist which are linked to airframe serial nos.

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Updated Pictures

With the aid of my new camera here are some better quality pictures of the propeller , stampings and decals. Use any of them if they are of use to you. Joe
                  Attached Files

Comment

Excellent photographs Joe. Thank you so much for putting them here on the forum. Your prop is in superb condition, amongst the best that I have seen from WW1.

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                    X