Propeller id help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller id help

I just found this forum and associated sites today, and could use a bit of help. The propeller I have was sanded and resealed back in 1976 when I young and didn't know better. Consequently the only ID marks I can find include the following:

No18
    8'9" x 2.75
    LH

The prop has six holes, but has some wooden plugs on the side that would have attached to the plane, as it appears their drilling may have gone awry. I can see evidence of the metal ring having been attached, and by the wear on the prop, so it appears that it may have seen some use on a plane. Even though it has 6 holes, the closest photo resembling the prop is the Hartzell Liberty (8 hole).

Also, where can I obtain a replacement metal ring, or flange (nomenclature?) that was mounted on the outside face of the prop?

Unfortunately that's not enough information to id your prop.

So far as replacing the metal ring, you could measure the diameter of the bolt holes and watch eBay or watch Barnstormers.com for a replacement of the same bolt hole diameter. Bolt hole diameter is the distance in inches from the center of a bolt hole directly across to the opposite bolt hole center. That ring is called a prop hub or prop hub flange.

Lamar

Comment

Lamar,

Thanks for your info on the hub flange. I will see what I can find on line.

I figured the info on the prop would not likely yield anything as far as brand and aircraft but it was worth a try. I still have a great looking piece that will be mounted shortly in my new home!

Comment

Originally posted by rmericks View Post
        Lamar,

Thanks for your info on the hub flange. I will see what I can find on line.

I figured the info on the prop would not likely yield anything as far as brand and aircraft but it was worth a try. I still have a great looking piece that will be mounted shortly in my new home!
        Posting a picture of it might help. You never know . . .
        Dave

Comment

I have attached a low res photo. The 6 holes are 1/2 inch diameter and 6 1/2 inch center to center. The total overall length of the prop is 8'9" and the hub width is 5 1/2 inches.
          Attached Files

Comment

It certainly looks like the style used in the late teens, but the left hand rotation and the 6 bolt hole hub is unusual. It might remain a mystery. The photo shows what looks like the rear face of the prop. (The front should have a gentle curved surface and the rear is usually flat.)
            Dave

Comment

Dave,

Good Ops...the other side is flat, but doesn't show evidence of any type of flange or washers that might have held the bolts in place. I take it some sort of metal protection went on both sides of the prop to protect the wood?

Comment

The metal hub assembly clamps the wood snugly between the metal plates, and the bolts work primarily in tension rather than shear.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X