Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Haviland Propeller Query

Hello All,

I have a propeller which I have always assumed was a Tiger Moth prop but now I am not too sure. It would seem that it is actually from a Hornet Moth. Can anyone advise me as to which one it is.

The details are as follows:
    DRG No. DH 5234/J8
    Gipsy Major
    L.H.T
    D6.75 P4.4
    AC 46066
    Sep 36

Many thanks in advance,

Keaton

Greetings Keaton,

Welcome to the forum.

The J variation on the DH5234 prop was used on the DH87 Hornet Moth. Earlier versions (A to H) were used on the Leopard Moth and the Puss Moth.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks so much about that info. Really chuffed that I now know for sure that the Prop is somewhat rarer than I thought.

Comment

I am probably about to ask an impossible question. But as there were only 164 Hornet Moths Built and only 20 imported into South Africa, is there any way of linking this prop to an Airframe?

Comment

Keaton,

Almost certainly, No!

But you have the date when the prop was made, September 1936. Can you find dates when Hornet Moths were imported into SA, or even when they were made? The Moth Club in England might have such data.

If by remote chance only one Hornet Moth was imported into SA in 1936, you might have an answer. But be aware that one individual airframe might have been fitted with several replacement props in its lifetime. Yours might be one of them, as opposed to original equipment.

Good Luck,

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X