Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US NAVY or Civilian Use Prop?

To Whom It May Concern;

My father was a US Navy carrier pilot and began flying off the USS Yorktown 1937-1940. "while at Pensacola he obtained a borken prop and made it into an electric clock by drilling out the center and inserting a naval bell clock. The prop is impressed ID stamped in the wood and read as follows:

DES.-569
    SER.-A- 3747
    A.T.C. - 382
    D-8' 6"

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I do not remember if he ever mentioned the prop as being of US Navy or civilian use.

I recently gave my inherited collection of dad's naval aviatio photos to the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola and many of the early aircrafts are photographed in color (Commander Fred M. Prouty collection).

Thank you for your time.

There is a Gardner design number 569 with suffix letters A, B or C. A and B were used on OX-5 engines which were widely used in many aircraft both civilian and military. The OX-5 was introduced in 1915 and used into the early 1930's. A list of aircraft using the OX-5 engine would be huge.

The C variant of this prop was used on OXX-6 engines. The OXX-6, introduced in 1917 was a dual ignition version of the OX-5 with slightly larger displacement.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
    X