Lang of America prop id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lang of America prop id

I just picked up a Lang Prop of America that is full of history (better known as used). It has some evidence of hitting the ground while spinning! Still all original, not refinished and has a 95% intact decal. So I have been doing some research and think I have narrowed it down but looking for more assistance. By the way, you have an unbelievable site here. Here are the details

Pitch 4ft 8 in
    Dia 8ft
    DR NO 5860

It has the decal on back of the prop...is it a pusher? I have a couple pictures of the Curtiss HA or Curtiss 18T seaplane and at looks spot on. I am a little boggled by the decal on the back side. The decal is the one you see very commonly in the forums.

Any idea on the aircraft, time of manufacture, or engine it mounted to would be great.

I appreciate the help.

Welcome to the forum,

If the decal is on the wrong side of the prop it is almost certainly a pusher prop. Lang made props for the USN so a Curtiss seaplane is a likely candidate. Lang was an English maker lent to the USN at their request when America entered the war in 1917.

Can you post photos here, or e-mail them to me (aeroclocks at btinternet dot com) written in this phonetic form to evade the spam bots. I'd like to record the data and possibly use the photos in my book.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Bob, any idea how rare it is? I found the prop on a Picture of a Curtiss in the Fighter Aircraft Encyclopedia and read that only a handful of that aircraft were ever flown. Are you aware of this prop sold as surplus? I will take some pictures and get them off to you.

Comment

There were thousands of propellers manufactured for various Curtiss flying boats in the late teens. Most of them became obsolete with the ending of WW1 and the rapid development of aircraft engines. So a large number of them were sold off as surplus in the early twenties.

Some pictures would help. Be careful of "identifying" a propeller by its resemblance to one seen in a photo. It's almost never accurate.
        Dave

Comment

Many thanks Aaron, for the photographs of the hub that you sent me.

I have a photograph and details of what I think is an identical prop, except that the dimensions are given in mm, but these match yours exactly.

Lang Propeller No 3994
          Pitch ??30
          Dia 2439
          DR No 3 L 74
          LH Curtiss OXX

This engine was used on the Curtiss Model F (which was a pusher) and on the Curtiss ND trainer, which was used by the USN and in effect was the Curtiss Jenny mounted on a single float, and hence a tractor aircraft.

Your data reads;

Lang Propeller No 5771
          Pitch 4ft 8ins
          Dia 8ft 0ins
          DR No 8560
          LH

It is very likely that your prop is from the pusher Curtiss F.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob, can you post the picture? I'm curious how it compares to this propeller for a Curtiss Model F flying boat.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X