Advice on propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on propeller

I would be pleased to receive advice on a wooden propellor which I located on a recent visit to Argentina. It is believed to be from a WW1 aircraft but this has not been authenticated at this stage. The markings on the propellor are DRG NO Y 707/3 with the markings L&T underneath.

If anyone can provide advice on this matter it would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Kenneth Penaluna
    AUSTRALIA

On the lists that I have the "Y" drawing numbers don't go any higher than Y573, which was for an Avro 504N.

Maybe Bob Gardner has some later numbers, but the "Y" prefix usually indicates an A.V. Roe drawing number. I see that some of their numbers were also used on Martinsyde and Vickers aircraft as well.

There is a model Y107, but if you're confident that it's a "7", then that's of no help.

"L&T" certainly sounds like a manufacturer, but I don't recognize the initials.
    Dave

Comment

Good Evening Kenneth,

I don't have the drg no Y707 listed (by the way /3 indicated the third minor mod) but Y700 to Y705 were props for the Avro Avian aircraft with the Hermes or Gypsy Major engine and Y723 for the Hermes II engine and Y735 to Y743 used the Genet Major engine; all with the Avro Avian.

Please let me know the diameter and pitch of the prop for my database if they are stamped on the hub, or measure the diameter if not. It is likely to be about six and a half feet.

Avians were exported from GB worldwide in the 1930's, including Australia. A quick google should reveal if any went to Argentina.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X