Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ID please

Forum members,

I just came across this propeller. Please help me identify it. Exactly 90 inches tip to tip. Hub dimensions exactly match the Curtiss OX5. One blade has a faint trace of an unfamilar decal. Other blade has a stenciled marking "K-"; there might be a missing character after the hyphen. Leading edge metal has small phillips-head screws on the inner portion, and copper rivets for the rest. Conventional design and construction from the 1920s.

No other stamps, markings, serial numbers, or clues.

Thanks,
    Mark (a.k.a. Polarpilot)
    Attached Files

Ruptured Duck

Forum members,

I solved my own question about the unfamiliar decal. There was enough detail remaining to trace out words "VETERA" and "WO", an eagle head and wing feathers. See the images below and compare to the images from my original post. The decal is not that of a propeller manufacturer. It's the Armed Services Honorable Service emblem. http://www.foxfall.com/hsm.htm
    Also called the "Rupured Duck."

The remaining questions are the "K-_" on the other blade, and the original manufacturer. The blank character may be the letter "M". It is a quality propeller with perfect OX5 dimensions, and well-made metal leading edges. Though I suspect it was a long-time wall trophy and possibly never airworthy.

I haven't been able to find another prop with identical leading edges. Any further help is appreciated.

Mark
    aka Polarpilot
    Attached Files

Comment

What is the diameter of the center bore? It just looks a little bigger than the typical OX5 hub to me.
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

I took out the calipers to make sure. It measured 2.72" compared to 2.69" on the chart of hub dimensions. Definitely an OX5 mount.

Since there are no markings or numbers anywhere, I really think it was sold as a decoration; and it was done before anyone cared about marking it "unairworthy." A certified/airworthy prop would certainly have the typical markings. There is no evidence of original stampings being sanded.

Hence, I am left with the puzzle to figure out who made it. I'll keep an eye out for others like it. The leading edge & tipping will be the best indicators.

Thanks,
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X