Rolls Royce Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolls Royce Wooden Propeller

Can anyone provide me with information on a propeller I found in my Dad's basement. He worked for Avro, DeHavilland and then McDonnell Douglas in Canada. The propeller is approx. 98" long with metal on tips. Markings say AD 564 BBR, 75 BP Rolls Royce, D2480 & P1480. Is there any value to this item?
    Attached Files

How clear are the markings? I suspect, for instance that it's 75 HP instead of 75BP, so if those are hard to read, maybe the BBR is actually BE2, which would fit with the drawing number of AD564. That prop is (the Right Hand version, which is what you have pictured) was designed to be used on the Rolls Royce Hawk engine, and aircraft listed are the AVRO 504F and the BE2e. (The left hand version was for the same engine but used on an MF Shorthorn.)

It looks as if it has been refinished (which also might account for some difficulty reading the stampings), in which case the value is less than if left original. Perhaps Bob Gardner can come up with a better estimate, but I'd guess somewhere in the $1200 to $1500 range.

The metal on the tips is probably more likely an indication of a post WW1 prop, as is the "F" model of the Avro. Also, whenever I see a clock in the middle I wonder if wood had to be removed to put it there. That would also reduce its value.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Joanne,

Welcome to the forum.

The propeller dates from c1917 and is made to a Royal Navy design.

AD564 is the drawing number; AD indicates the Air Department of the Admiralty. This prop was used on a variety of training aircraft including, as Dave says, the Avro 504 and BE2, but mostly on the Maurice Farman Shorthorn.

All these aircraft used the 75hp Rolls Royce Hawk engine.

D and P indicate the diameter and pitch of the prop in mm.

The letters BBR after the drawing number might also read RHP indicating a right hand rotating prop in a pusher configuration; i.e. at the back of the aircraft pushing it forward. If so, this confirms that it came from the MF Shorthorn.

Your prop has two values; the insurance valuation and it's sale price. The addition of the clock has probably caused damage to the hub. If offered at auction it would sell for around six hundred GB pounds, ($900 USD) although this could vary between four hundred and seven hundred GBP ($600 to $1000 USD) The replacement cost for insurance purposes would be about double this, around twelve hundred pounds, ($1800 USD) which is the price a dealer like me would sell it for.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hello Bob

New member here.
        I have purchased the above mentioned prop from Joanne to be included in my vintage aviation collection.
        Having read the above comments about the prop, I have been unable to find any photos of that type prop on the M.F. Shorthorn, BE 2 or any Avro 504 type. This prop is shaped quite differently from any pics I have found.

The prop has been refinished and if there were at one time decals , they are long gone . Unfortunately I cannot find out who the manufacturer was.
        Also the middle of the prop has be routered out to allow for the clock installation. This is too bad as the prop otherwise looks perfectly serviceable.
        I confirm the #'s that Joanne gave as follows

on the front face: 295
        on side of hub: H295
        on other side of hub:
        AD 564 BRH
        75 HP ROLLS ROYCE
        D2480
        P1480

Cam

Comment

Good Morning Cam and welcome to the forum,

I'm glad that the information we gave Joanne was of some use. It's always good to have some feedback because it often takes me half an hour to research my answer and compose it.

In the drawing number AD564B, AD indicates the Air Department of the Admiralty. The letter B indicates the second variation, probably a slight change in pitch. I have recorded two examples of this prop, both made for the MF Shorthorn.

The shape of the prop is not of typical Admiralty design which suggests that it was someone else's design to which the AD gave a drawing number. It was found by experiment to be the most efficient design for the Shorthorn and was the standard prop (that is the prop of first choice) from November 1917 to July 1918.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X