wooden british made prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden british made prop?

hi i have come across a prop made of timber and it has a badge/transfer saying F.Tibbenham LTD Ipswich could anybody tell me anything about it please it seems to be part of a pair or maybe three on a hub but i only have one thanks ian, you can email me at ipcairns@hotmail .co.uk

If the hub is missing and there are no identifying numbers on it, then you can't narrow it down to a single aircraft or engine, as manufacturers like Tibbenham made many different models of propellers with similar or identical looking blades.
    Dave

Comment

prop id

hi i have found a stamp with letters and numbers on it they are AIO 332 and the letters WD which i think stands for war department is this useful thanx dave

Comment

The stamp is probably A.I.D. and might give Bob Gardner a clue as to its manufacturing history. He checks in here periodically and may be able to offer some insight.
        Dave

Comment

Good Morning Ian,

I can't offer much help other than to mention that Tibbenham's were a noted firm of cabinet-makers recruited during WW1 to make aircraft propellers. They worked almost entirely under contract for the Royal Aircraft Factory making props for the BE2, the BE12 and the SE5.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

thankyou bob for the info it all helps, i put the name into google and got some info relating to the same prop i have got that is in a museum in australia showing the same markings so i am getting closer to finding out more cheers,if anything else comes up please let me know ian

Comment

Working...
            X