PDA

View Full Version : GYPSY MAJOR, Not showing off just need some help with valuation

FlyLabineski
10-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, I am an aviation enthusiast, I still fly and I held at one time a Commercial, MEL ,IFR.
I regularly fly now in the BC and Albert Rockies in a Cessna 182, no longer current IFR.

I do collect aviation items, I have a few instruments from WW II aircraft. Sometime ago I was lucky enough to buy a propeller from a Gypsy Major. Actually I purchased it from the widow of the fellow who owned the Gypsy Major at one time. The lady was 80 years young and still flew an Aircoupe.
I am attaching a photo (albeit not the best quality of photo). I have been looking for a wooden prop that I could afford for years and I intend to keep it. I have it prominently displayed in the loft of our timber frame home.

The following are descriptions of the markings on this propeller:

G-G-100B
SER. A1714

DIA 80", PIT 52.7 ) Top of hub
GIPSY MAJOR )

Next to SER. There are 3 markings or
stamps. Could these be Certification
Stamps?
Back of prop. Edge of hub at blade
the following: 1 14.6, 2 C
Two Decals: "Almost unreadadable"
One @ blade: starts with the letter "G", ends with "ED". Some kind of seal.

I am attaching a photo, albeit not thre best.

Thanks for whatever opinion or comment that you can provide.

Flylabineski

elambert
03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
HI I have a the same prop by the sounds of it similiar numbers G100B ser#A2006, 8 hole, 80 in ,pit 52.7 gipsy major man. jan 1943 made by Granby reply if you wish .EARL

FlyLabineski
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Hello Earl,

At least I know now better when the prop was manufactured. Who is or was Granby?
I purchased the prop from the widow of the fellow who owned and flew the Tiger Moth.

Thanks for the response

Andre

elambert
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
HI Aundre. All the logo says is grunby aviation ltd i havent been able to track the company.I am kind of looking for a value it is in nice cond., apart from the varnish , It was bad so i striped it no delamination and no sign of being even bolted on to anything.This prop looks the same as yours. EARL

elambert
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
HI Aundre The decal name is Grandby not Granby sorry --- EARL

elambert
03-31-2011, 05:43 PM
HI Aundre If you look in modern wood propellers decals you will see the exact decal on my prop Grundby aviation ltd and the crest------EARL