OX5 propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX5 propeller

I have a wooden propeller made by Westmoore propeller company from Chicago Ill. Its about 8 foot long with 8 hub hole and stamp OX5. any one have an idea fo its value. jhbyers@aol.com

It's very condition dependent. Factors like original decals, varnish condition, modifications to hub, etc., etc., all help determine value.
    Dave

Comment

OX5 propeller

Dave thank you for your reply. The varnish condition is excellent, the orignal decals are there and readable, there are no mods. The propeller is stamped, OX 5 8'4"X5' and NO2005 and SC53855. Let me know if you have any idea about and these number. Also the aircraft type. Thanks again. J Byers

Comment

The stampings indicate the engine, the diameter (8'4") the pitch (5'), the serial number (No2005) and a Signal Corps number (SC53855). That toothpick design replaced the earlier scimitar shaped props because they were cheaper to manufacture as they wasted less wood in the shaping process. I would guess that it was made in the early twenties and most likely for a JN4D. I can't tell for sure but the indentation around the bolt hole looks like a consequence of a display mounting rather than an aircraft hub, so it's likely that it was never actually mounted on an aircraft. Props like this were produced in large numbers as they were frequently damaged and replaced, but engines developed quickly and many models quickly became obsolete, as I suspect yours did, and ended up being sold off as surplus, usually for about $2 or $3 in the early to mid twenties.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X