What have I found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I found?

While on a recent visit to Ireland I found a clock. It appears to be made out of the central hub of a wooden propeller. I think four blades, two have been cut off, and the first few inches of the remaining two forn the legs of the clock. The construction is of seven pieces of laminated wood, I think mahogany. It carries quite a few numbers etc on the back. The clock is set in the enlarged hole where the shaft will have passed through the hub. The inscriptions are
    WD with a downward pointing arrow, and AID25, then 18687, BE2C RAF 1A
    T7448 then DARR AOO Motor Eng Co Ltd London.
    I bought it because its shape fascinated me, though it is in a bit of a mess, and needs some careful restoring. Is it worth doing? Any ideas what plane it was made for, what year, anything to help me find out what I have found.

Good Morning Peter,

And welcome to our forum.

The hub is a remnant of a British propeller from WW1.

The data decodes as;
    DARR AOO Motor Eng Co Ltd London The maker: Darracq Motor Engineering Company Limited of London. This company was the British off-shoot of a French company and made motor cars. As motor cars at this time were primarily wooden, including the chassis and wheels, the company was conscripted to make wooden aircraft props, probably in 1915. The name changed slightly in 1916 so your hub dates from later than mid 1916.

18687 The Darracq serial number.

T7448 The drawing number of the prop. The letter T indicates the designer was the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF).

BE2C The aircraft type, a recce aircraft designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory.

RAF 1A The aircraft engine, a 100hp engine also designed by the RAF.

AID25 The stamp of an Inspector from the Aeronautical Inspection Department (AID), in effect an airworthiness certificate.

The BE2C was obselescent in 1916 and production ceased in 1918. Your prop was made between these dates.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks!

Dear Bob

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, and the interesting information you have given me.

I have contacted a clock restorer, who says the project is just up his street! The propeller hub case I will restore myself, while he concentrates on the clock workings.

I note your advice about not restoring propellers, but I think mine is beyond redemption now, so I will go ahead, but with great care I promise! I will restore it to a thing of beauty and great interest. I will post a photograph when it is completed. But don't hold your breath, as it will take quite some time, as such work is a hobby, but very good for meditation and prayer!

Kind regards

Rev Peter

Comment

Working...
      X