Sensenich Prop Serial 9241

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensenich Prop Serial 9241

I have a Sensenich prop that has been in my family 50 years plus. My Grandfather returned from the Navy with it (as I recall). Can anyone tell me more about it?
    DES 70743
    SER 9241
    HP 50
    RPM 2300

That design number doesn't follow the convention Sensenich uses for airplane props. Can you post a photo of it? What is it's diameter (length). It's possible it's not an aircraft prop, possibly something else like a target drone or an airboat.

Lamar

Comment

Sensenisch Pictures

One document I read indicated that design numbers without a letter indicated that it may have been made in the 1930s. The prop is 55 1/2 inches long. I have uploaded 5 pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

I think you need to look at the design number carefully to see if that's the correct stamping. The prop is 55 inches because the tips have been cut off. I suspect that the design number is really 70 "n" "xx", where the 'n' represents a letter or letters naming the engine and the "XX" represents the pitch. If so it would likely be one of the models beginning with "70" on this page, and it would be one of the ones that corresponds with an engine that ends with "/50", indicating a 50 hp engine. An Aeronca 50 F, for instance would be one of the several possibilities.

With the tips removed and the hub cut out for a clock, the item has very little value, however.
        Dave

Comment

Design Number

I looked at the DES Number again. It is 70F43.
          "Value" would have been nice but I was more interested in where it came from. As I recall my grandfather brought it home from the navy. He was in the Navy in the 30s I think.

After clarifying the design number the link you provided referenced the following.
          70F-43
          Piper J 3 F 50
          Franklin 4 AC 150/50
          Last edited by flashgordon23; 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flashgordon23 View Post
            I looked at the DES Number again. It is 70F43.
            "Value" would have been nice but I was more interested in where it came from. As I recall my grandfather brought it home from the navy. He was in the Navy in the 30s I think.
            So it was used on either a Piper J3 with a Franklin 50 hp engine or a Taylorcraft BF. It would be extremely unlikely that you could narrow it down to a specific aircraft itself.
            Dave

Comment

Thanks for the interest and the info.

Comment

Working...
              X