Wooden prop identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden prop identification

Hello, everyone. I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a wood prop. It seems to be made out of either birch or maple, measures 70" long and 8 " wide at the widest. On the hub it is stamped as follows:

GANO
    MODEL 870-30
    SERIAL 574

The prop looks similar to the one shown in the attached photo.
    Any help on manufacturer and what type of aircraft this is for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    C
    Attached Files
    Last edited by crazycrawler; 07-27-2010, 01:40 AM.

The similarity in appearance doesn't really help much. The one in the photo is obviously an aircraft propeller but it looks similar to many airboat propellers.

I don't remember "GANO" from any previous props, but it may be a manufacturer. A certified aircraft propeller will usually have a little more information stamped on it, including often the type certificate ("TC") number.

Can you post a picture of it? It may be an airboat prop.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. I really have no idea what this prop is from. Actually I got it at a garage sale and it was covered in thick black paint. I had to strip the paint and took off some fiberglass from the ends since it was loose. There were no decals under the paint. I used furniture refinisher not stripper to take off the black paint. Then I put a darker stain on it. Here are pics.

C
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is another pic.
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that's more likely an airboat propeller, although I can't be sure.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X