please help identify my propeller..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help identify my propeller..

i was wondering if anybody can help me identify and any history of a wooden propeller that was my late grandads. it has on it
    DRG NO DH 5222/A/1 D.H. GIPSY 3 L.H.T
    D6"-6" P5-0 JULY/32
    A.C 27081
    thankyou

It's from a famous type of British aircraft of the 1930's, a de Havilland DH 80A Puss Moth powered by the Gipsy III engine.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

thankyou Bob .famous? how could i find out more?
      the prop is a lite yellow colour and the metal bits are a green all i remember my Grandad telling me ( who was in 99 squadron during the second world war and ended up a flt lt ) was that he woke up after a heavy night in bed with it in 1948 ! thankyou
      Last edited by JRDM; 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM. Reason: more information

Comment

Originally posted by JRDM View Post
        thankyou Bob .famous? how could i find out more?
        the prop is a lite yellow colour and the metal bits are a green all i remember my Grandad telling me ( who was in 99 squadron during the second world war and ended up a flt lt ) was that he woke up after a heavy night in bed with it in 1948 ! thankyou
        After more looking through my late grandfathers paperwork my brother came up with a reply from a letter he sent (sadly no copy of the sent letter ) it goes along the lines of........."You probrably know that Jim Mollison flew to the USA on 18/19 August 1932 in DH80A puss moth G-ABXY i think from Eire .I cannot relate the numbers on your propeller with this aircraft .....then gives adresses to write to etc .if you woulld like to read my articles on Amy Johnson they are in the jan feb issues of aeroplane monthly .I had a very nice letter from Amy's sister Molly Jones ...good luck with your researches -"
        Be grate full if anybody knew how to find out more other than writing to hatfield which is now closed.......thanks

Comment

JRDM,

It is hardly ever possible to discover a connection between a prop and a particular aircraft.

From your earlier e-mail, about your Grandfather waking up in bed with it during the war, it would seem that it came from a Puss Moth that was impressed into service with the RAF. There can't have been many.

The Moth Club will probably have some knowledge of those that were.
          http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/

Tell us what you discover.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob
            Thanks very much for all your help will see what i can dig up

Comment

Bob this is what i have dug up so far from the moth club."The information on the hub of the propeller reveals the type of propeller and its application but it is quite impossible to tell to which individual aircraft the propeller was ever fitted.

The propeller was made by the Airscrew Company of Weybridge in July 1932 against de Havilland propeller drawing number DH 5222/A/1. The individual serial number of the propeller is 27081. No Airscrew Company records survive, but the customer was almost certainly the de Havilland Aircraft Company.

The propeller was specific to a DH.80A Puss Moth fitted with a GIPSY III engine. Note the spelling. LHT is ‘Left Hand Tractor’ which specifies the direction of rotation when viewed from the cockpit and also the fact that it is a tractor and not pusher.

The diameter of the propeller is 6.6ft (decimal) and the pitch 5.03ft, which would be a cruising propeller.

It seems that the 5222 propeller was not considered satisfactory for some reason and was replaced by a later drawing which would explain why the 5222 is not on the current list of propellers approved for use with a Puss Moth powered by a Gipsy III (there are none) or a Gipsy Major.

I hope that is of some interest even though identification of the individual aeroplane is not possible." I had a rough valuation of 200-300 pounds although there is a lot of signitures on the propeller a lot of which are unreadable.... what value do you think? ( not that i want to sell )
              regards john

Comment

Working...
              X