Identification of a wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of a wooden Propeller

Good afternoon, I'm hoping one of you could supply information on a wooden propeller that my wife recently bought.
    The Propeller has the following information stamped on it:
    G.B. Lewis. CO.
    Ser.3015
    DES.L60 - 2.8
    H.P. 90 R.P.M. 2500
    A.T.C. 796

The propeller has never been mounted and is in good shape, it appears to have been clear coated at some time but the clear coat is begining to peel. The leading edges are metal sheathed, not sure of type metal, with silver colored rivets.
    I've already looked at the "Modern Wooden Propeller" identification site and could not find this particular Design number.
    My wife bought the propeller to use as a decoration for my "I love me wall" with my Navy Retirement pictures and awards so it has no special memories attached to it but I am curious as to it's history.
    Thanks for any help at all.
    Tim

It's listed in another reference, but it doesn't say what it was fittted to. However, it's the same hub dimensions as the model L55 F, so I suspect it was just a variation of one of the aircraft that used that Franklin engine.

So it would likely have been one of the following:

L55F-2-44
    Culver LFA
    Franklin 4AC176-F3

L55F-42
    Interstate S1A 90F Cadet
    Franklin 4AC199 E2

Rearwin Skyranger 190F
    Franklin 4AC199 E3

Stinson 10A, Voyager
    Franklin 4AC199 E2

The type certificate for that expired on December 31, 1954, so it was not certified for use after that date.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the information.
      My wife has suddenly become interested in Aircraft propellers and has her eye on another one she found at a local antique store so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        The type certificate for that expired on December 31, 1954, so it was not certified for use after that date.
        I understand this to mean that all propellers with this design number were or should have been taken out of service at or before December 31, 1954?
        Or am I misunderstanding the type certificate expiration?
        Not that it will matter for the display of this particular propeller.

Comment

It just means that it wasn't legal to use on certificated aircraft after that date.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X