AVRO 504K propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVRO 504K propeller

Does the AVRO 504K always used the same propeller? or they used another different?

Attached one photo with the engraved letters:

A V R O
    DRG.Y 503
    130HP. CLERGET
    110HP. LE RHONE

G1176. N40

I know about the engines, but what about the others numbers?

Best regards.
    Attached Files

That's the only model I see listed for the K model Avro. There were many other props listed for earlier models.
    Dave

Comment

AVRO 504K Propeller

Thank you very much for your answer Dave.

At the Mexican Air Force Museum, one propeller has been identified as from AVRO 504. In 20s México used several of the type and afterwards this airplanes were built locally.

In fact I am searching for clues about this propeller (see attachment).

I think this type was not used in AVRO, The brass protection and the shape indicates something different.

Also This propeller in one point of time was worked and looks like along the blades was carved and later covered again with wood.

Looking closely to the blades you will be able to notice this fact.

Any clue ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's certainly possible that it was used on an AVRO 504k, but it is not one of the original designs for that plane in the various (and rather extensive) lists of British propellers from that era. Most of the ones I've seen are not metal sheathed like that, but as with many of these WW1 era aircraft, after the war they were utilized for lots of other applications, and it's quite possible that newer propeller designs were used at that time.

One way that you could probably exclude the possibility is to check the measurements of the hub and make sure that they are consistent with the Clerget and LeRhone size.
        Dave

Comment

Hello Mexico,

Might I use your photographs in my book on WW1 British props? I'll credit the photo to you. Perhaps you could post here the name of your Museum so that I can copy it, complete with accents etc.

Avro 504K props were made to the following drg nos; Many of these date from the 1920's.

Aircraft Propeller Engine
          Avro 504K A.B.662 Wolseley Viper
          Avro 504K P.3194 Lucifer
          Avro 504K Y.689(3) Mongoose III
          Avro 504K Z.1151 Wolseley Viper
          Avro 504K Y.573(7) Lynx IV
          Avro 504K Z.1580 Wolseley Viper
          Avro 504K Y.525(3) Lucifer
          Avro 504K Z.105(1) Anzani 110 hp.
          Avro 504K Z.267(1) Renault 80 hp.
          Avro 504K P.3153 Lucifer IV
          Avro 504K T.28937 Mono
          Avro 504K L.P.3640 Clerget 110,130 or 140 hp.
          Avro 504K A.D.644 Clerget 110,130 or 140 hp.
          Avro 504K Z.213 Clerget 110,130 or 140 hp.
          Avro 504K Y.503 Clerget 110 & 130 hp.

Y503 (where the letter Y indicates an Avro design) was the only Avro made prop for the Clerget in both power outputs.

The diameter and pitch were 2740mm and 2630mm.

Props were often repaired when in use and this might well have happened to yours.

As an afterthought, do you have a photo of a Mexican AF Avro 504, showing the prop well?

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I forgot to add that the G and N numbers are British Ministry of Munitions serial numbers where G indicates the batch, which comprised 100 props, and N the number of an individual prop within that batch. G1176 dates to March 1919.

Are there any small squares, the size of a thumb nail, near the hub with the letters AID in them? AID means the Aeroplane Inspection Department. If you can tell me the numbers in the squares, I might be able to identify the prop maker.

Do you have details of any other British or German WW1 props used in Mexico?

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Avro 504 k

Thank you Dave, Thank you Bob.

By the way, in my "wishes list" I have your books and CDs Bob, I hope soon be able to "grab" them.

Of course you can use the photo as you wish, no problem.

This Museum has been open recently, last February 15th.
              In the meantime it is a TEMPORARY MUSEUM OF THE MEXICAN AIR FORCE. Located in the Military Air Base N° 1, in Santa Lucía, Estado de México. It is open to the public.

The Museum has been closed for many, many years. Now that México is celebrating his 200th Independence anniversary and 100th Revolution anniversary and not the least the 100th anniversary of the first powered flight in this country. The Air Force want to show to the public and the top authorities that many many people is interested in this topic (history aviation).

Incredible isn't it; 2010 and we do no have a real Aviation Museum .

The fact is, that along to other friends, we are trying to help with our own collections and knowledge about several questions.

One of this was the name of the propellers they have.

Back in 80s, I was able to identify one propeller that belonged to one of the Wright B used by Pancho Villa around 1916. (A true miracle indeed, that this propellers still exist).

Now that they set the exhibition, it was named wrongly.

I provide to this guys with photos to compare the matter and now it is correctly identified.

There are some others that I am trying to identify.

Like the one I posted with metal sheath. They put the name AVRO, but I would like to be sure.

In 1924, México bought a batch of AVRO 504K from England, later the National workshops started to built locally 50 of such airplanes. With a different landing gear and were named ANAHUAC.

Sadly till now we were unable to find any other English nor German propellers, there are some French and some others of Mexican design.

I have two or three photos about English propellers that I took in Argentina, those I can send it to you, gladly.

About photos of AVROS in Mexican service, I have some but no one shows clearly the propeller.

Because of the records I have, I know that many propellers were built for AVROs and for the one and only (May be 2) Sopwith 1 1/2 Sttruter. But till now I have been unable to find an original one.

About the small squares you said, yes in fact this blade has that, but this does not belong to me, another friend is the lucky owner, I have the photos, but can't see clearly.

Time ago I made an article about one rebellion (of many) in 1925-28, the Avro’s were used extensively as reconnaissance as well as bombers.
              You can see this in this web site: (in Spanish, sadly I haven't had enough time to translate)

http://www.mexicanaviationhistory.co...culo.php?id=10

Well, Thanks again.

See yah

OFRAMex1
              Attached Files

Comment

The half blade and hub you show in the attachment certainly looks like the "typical" AVRO prop. I have one like it with the original A.V.R.O. decals.
                Dave

Comment

Many thanks for all this info. I shall copy it to Martin Verden-Roe who is the great grandson of Alliott Verden-Roe who founded AV Roe and Co Ltd, soon known as AVRO.

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                  X